Friday, September 02, 2005

First, let me say that I (and I hope every Christian is) am praying for those who have been devastated by hurricane Katrina.

Yesterday, I heard on a Christian radio station that the governor of Louisiana had proclaimed today a day of prayer for the people of the state. I didn't see that news in the paper but I could have missed it. I've been skimming the paper the last few days. I know I shouldn't have, but the first thought that popped into my head was: "Would the ACLU complain that that proclamation was a blatant violation of the First Amendment?" (Which, of course, it is not!)

Then I remembered a letter to the editor I had written while living in Tucson. It was not printed but it seems appropriate to print it here since I've been writing about the Supreme Court's misapplication of the Constitution and about the First Amendment's "establishment clause"--"Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion." Here is that short letter:

Is this correct? Mayor Miller recently recants his proclamation recognizing "Bible Week" since the ACLU threatened to sue because of a possible violation of a supposed "separation of Church and State." Then on December 15, 1998, the same mayor is shown on TV news participating in a Hanukkah celebration in the mayor's office.

I didn't hear or read any complaint by the ACLU. I didn't hear or read any indication by the mayor that he was being inconsistent. Perhaps the ACLU is more concerned with attacking Christianity than protecting the so called separation of Church and State.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home