Thursday, August 18, 2005

I believe the first time I heard this was several months ago in a commercial. Some television program, I think it was "60 Minutes" but I'm not sure, was going to do a segment on it. This evening I heard another brief story about it during the 6 o'clock news on NBC's affiliate. A major organization (I don't recall hearing the name, maybe it wasn't given) was quoted as saying that parents were doing a major service for their teen children when the parents allowed teens to drink alcohol at parties in the home--controlled drinking parties. Are you serious! What rot!

Have people totally lost their minds! I guess I really shouldn't be surprised. After all, the libertines and humanistic rationalists have been doing this for years in relation to teen intercourse. They argue (incorrectly) that teens are going to have intercourse anyway. Therefore, they should be encouraged to have safe sex. Give them all the birth control products and abortion pills that they want. (Are you listening American Academy of Pediatrics?) That is a horrendous idea and having parent controlled drinking parties for teens is too.

I was a school board member for four years. The worse drug problem we had was teenage drinking. I'm willing to guess that is probably true for almost every high school in the country. Do these ignorant people really think teens will only drink at these controlled parties? Get real. What it will do is lead teens to believe they have a green light to drink. And they do. MADD in the news story called this concept terrible. They are absolutely correct!

Plus, furnishing alcohol to minors is illegal. (Probably in every state in the union.) These parents are not only helping to possibly destroy their own children and others; they are violating the law. I would suspect that some police departments will not enforce the laws. They should! These parents should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

When are people going to learn that trying to cushion the negative effects of sin to supposedly protect someone does not work? Sin is sin. It's just another example of the "me first" generation. The problem is it doesn't work.

I've got an idea. Some teens like to play Russian roulette. Let's hold controlled Russian roulette events so that innocent by-standers are not hit by a stray bullet. We can even charge to enter the event and make a little money on the side. You can not placate sin! Wake up! Open your eyes! Open your ears! Open your mind! You can not placate sin!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home