Thursday, October 06, 2005

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go astray." this thought from an English poet, as said yesterday on page 8 of chapter 2 of The Black Sword, was a guiding force of the organization. Typing that page got me to thinking. I didn't recall any specific reference in the New Testament suggesting that Christians should plan for the future while on this earth.

In fact, the passages that came to mind were passages that seemed to almost discourage planning. JESUS said, "'But before all this, they will lay hands on you and persecute you. They will deliver you to synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors, and all on account of my name. This will result in your being witnesses to them. But make up your mind not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves. For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict.'" (Luke 21: 12-15) "'Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly FATHER feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?'" (Matthew 6: 25-27) "'What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?'" (Mark 8: 36-37) Or as written in James 4: 13-14, "Now listen, you who say, 'Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spent a year there, carry on business and make money.' Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes."

Paul, one of the early pillars of the faith, writes "I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger...." (II Corinthians 11: 23b-26a) In all, he listed eight forms of danger. I don't think he planned all of these things to happen to him, but they did.

I am reminded of a saying which is not specifically in the Bible. It is, however, demonstrated throughout the Bible by Christians and I think by the teachings established by JESUS and echoed by other Christians in their Biblical writings. "Let go, and let GOD." If we do that, things will not always occur as we want them to; things will not always occur as we planned. I know that if I had followed my plan for my life that I would not be back in Illinois today. But, I am. I was asked recently, if I would return to Arizona someday. Without hesitation, I said yes. Then, I qualified the answer by saying I didn't know what my future held for me. I may never get back to Tucson. What I need to do; what all Christians need to do; is to "Let go, and let GOD." It is easier to say than to do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home