Friday, July 14, 2006

“I was sentenced to life in prison on June 9 on federal drug charges, and I have one question that I am finding difficult to get an answer for: Why have the powers-that-be in government sat idle for the last 25 years while South American countries grew, processed and then unleashed cocaine and heroin on American society?


These two drugs have cost America more than 100 twin towers, and who knows how many more, in lives.  Why would any government let this happen to its society?  We have a cocaine epidemic in America.  Every city has crack houses, every neighborhood has a crack corner.

Look what has happened to our society in 25 years.  Look at today’s youth.  You can’t put a price tag on society’s decline.  Why would a government let this happen?”


XXXXX X. XXXXXXXXX
Knox County Jail
Galesburg (Letter to the Editor [the letter is complete as published], Peoria Journal Star, July 13, 2006, page A4)


I was not planning on dealing with this subject matter tonight.  This letter was such a good example of one aspect of our societal psycho babble that I had to comment.

The gist of the letter, of course, is that the letter writer is not responsible for his being sentenced to jail for life.  Without commenting on whether his observations are correct or not, it is the fault of the government.  If the government had not allowed other countries to grow drugs that are illegal in this country, he would not have committed crimes against society.  He would not be in jail today.


That is the crux of one of the attitudes that exists today.  No one is responsible for their actions.  If it is not the fault of the government, it is the fault of my genes.  If it is not the fault of my genes, it is the fault of my environment.  If it is not the fault of my environment, it is the fault of my addictive behavior.  If it is not the fault of my addictive behavior, it is the fault of my lack of education.  If it is not the fault of my education, it is the fault of my parents.  If it is not the fault of my parents, it is the fault of my peer group.  If it is not the fault of my peer group, it is the fault of my medical condition.  If it is not the fault of my medical condition, it is the fault of ____________.  (Fill in the blank)  


One thing is certain, it is not my fault.  I am not responsible for my actions.  Name a culprit, find a reason, find a cure.  But know this.  It is not my fault.


Find a cure?  It is right before us.  It is the only one true and lasting solution.  It is so easy and yet is so often and so easily rejected by people not only in this country but also around the world.  The cure is not more money, more drugs, more psychologists, more education, more government, less government, more political freedom, less political freedom, more personal freedom, less personal freedom, more self esteem.  There is only one cure.  


JESUS, the CHRIST


“Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.  If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well.’” (John 14: 6-7)        

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home