Wednesday, November 08, 2006

TV trash

I’m changing what I am writing about for the blog.  As long as I can remember, I have always awoken before the sun rises.  In the summer I wake up earlier than during the autumn period when day light savings time is still in force.  Since we have returned to the regular system with the sun rising earlier, I’ve been awake earlier.  This morning I was up by 4:30am and posted the blog at about 5:30am since I was getting a busy signal both Monday night and the first time I tried Tuesday morning.

I was in the kitchen by 6am and turned on the morning news on Peoria’ NBC channel WEEK.  At approximately 6:15am while not concentrating on the TV, I heard the following commercial.  Since I was not paying close attention at the start of the commercial, I’m not quoting it exactly but the concepts are valid.

The commercial was for a “Dr. Phil” segment that was to air later that day.  I gathered from the commercial that the segment was part two of a program with the first part having been shown on Monday.  A little girl is heard saying that “he touched me inappropriately.”  (The girl did not use the term inappropriately but that is the concept involved.)  DR. Phil is then heard angrily declaring “If I receive a video tape with a little girl saying ‘he touched me inappropriately’ what am I suppose to do?”

Ah.  What should Dr. Phil do?  Let’s think about what should be done.  I’m thinking.  I’m thinking.  I’m thinking.  Let’s see.  What about this.  TURN THE TAPE OVER TO THE POLICE!  If someone has done something criminally wrong, isn’t that what one is suppose to do!  But, it seems from the commercial; Dr. Phil has decided to turn the episode into a national TV media circus.

What is wrong with the media in this country?  Does everything have to be a “Jerry Springer Show?”  If criminal activity did occur, how difficult would it be to prosecute after being aired on national TV?  Is Dr. Phil the appropriate person to determine criminal activity?  Why was the tape sent to Dr. Phil?  How did it get taped?  Was this just a natural outburst by the girl while other wise being taped or was the tape staged?  What total nonsense!  What sensationalism!  What trash!

No under thinking people don’t watch much TV.  It all seems to be aimed at the lowest common denominator.  What an indictment for our country.  What a trashing commercial.  What a trashy TV show.  What trash!!!          

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home