Friday, August 31, 2007

If I was former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales

I will not be continuing my Creationism posts today. I do plan to return to them soon.

Then, I plan to answer the response about Iraq. I am sorry for the change in plans. Plans, in reality, often are altered for one reason or another. “The best laid plans … often go astray.” Thank you for your understanding and patience.

How many unborn toddlers were murdered today because of the humanistic, paganish, barbaric decisions of the United States Supreme Court?

Stop the
Murder of
Unborn
Toddlers

“Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.” James 4: 17 (NIV)

http://www.kansasmeadowlark.com/2006/ShameOfKansas

www.childpredators.com

www.lifedynamics.com

www.aclj.org

www.libertylegal.org

www.alliancedefensefund.org

www.searchtv.org

If I was former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and in the future was subpoenaed to appear before the Senate committee “investigating” my performance as Attorney General, this is what I would say.

“Senators, I will not take the Fifth Amendment as I come before you today. I will not take the Fifth Amendment because I have done nothing wrong. Taking the Fifth Amendment will be construed by you, by the mass media, and by many unthinking people as an admission of criminal wrong doing whether or not that is true.”

“I could refuse to testify because of Executive Privilege since I was a member of the executive branch answerable to the President of the United States and not to this committee, not to the United States Senate, not to the House of Representatives of the United States, and not to the Congress of the United States. However, I will not.”

“What I am going to do is what every member of the executive branch should do. I am going to refuse to testify before this committee today and each and every day hereafter that I am required to appear before this committee. I do now and will in the future respectfully decline to testify before this committee.”

At this point, the chairman of the committee interrupts and proclaims, “Sir, you are coming very close to being in contempt of Congress!”

I would then respond by saying, “Mr. Chairman you do not understand. I am not coming close to being in contempt of Congress; I AM IN CONTEMPT OF CONGRESS. You have no desire to reach the truth or to hear the truth. This committee has been from the beginning and is now involved in a political witch hunt.”

Again, the chairman interrupts and shouts, “You are in contempt of Congress. I can have you jailed.”

I would respond, “You now understand! I am very much in contempt of this Congress and this committee. I am quite aware of your power and what you can and can not do. After all, I was the Attorney General of the United States. I have already experienced your abusive behavior and your abuse of authority.”

“You and other members of your committee began this political witch hunt with preconceived notions of the truth. Nothing that I said then nor will anything that I say now change those notions. You did not then nor will you now provide due process of law or equal protection of the law to me or to any member of the Bush administration. Any thing that we say that is contrary to what you want to hear is considered to be untrue. You have already declared what the truth is and nothing less than that ‘declared truth’ will satisfy this committee.”

“In 2005, I was appointed by the President of the United States with the consent of the Senate to be the Attorney General of the United States. I was and I am answerable to the President of the United States, not to this committee, not to the Senate, not to the House of Representatives, not to the Congress. During my term I worked long hours—often 12 to 14 hours a day for 6 or 7 days of the week. I worked to serve the President of the United States and to serve the people of the United States. I did so not for the money but because of my concern for the wellbeing of this country and the privilege of serving a President who I believe is working for the good of this nation.”

“During my term in office, I served to the best of my ability according to the directions given to me by the President of the United States. I was responsible for a very important Department within the executive branch. I tried to my fullest to uphold the integrity of that Department and to fulfill my duties as Attorney General.”

“Did I make mistakes during my tenure as Attorney General? Probably. Did I purposely error and bring disrepute to the office of Attorney General? Never! Did I correctly relate to this committee every action and conversation that occurred months before? Possibly not. I was a very busy and involved individual. I was working hours upon hours day after day. I did not take notes concerning my actions and concerning my conversations. I did not record every conversation I had over days and months of working as Attorney General.”

“Did my recollection of events differ from that of others? Certainly. I would be surprised if they did not. No! I would be shocked if they did not! Every beginning lawyer knows or should know that, when two or more eye witnesses observe an event, they do not observe it through the same eyes. The perspective of each participant is different. The observations are different. The importance of those observations is different. It is because we all have different perspectives and different recall of events. We all are different. None of us are television cameras or recording machines.”

“In my opinion, this committee took every little difference as proof not that we are human and see things differently but as proof that I was lying and anyone and everyone who seemed to contradict what I said was telling the undeniable truth. Any reasonable person knows that two or three witnesses will not agree on every single detail. If they do, it is probable that they have agreed on what to say before hand. It is not indelible proof that one person is telling the truth while the other must be lying.”

“I confess that I probably do not remember accurately every single detail of things that occurred months before. I was involved in a whole plethora of events involving the Justice Department. In all that I did, I had the support of the President that selected me to be Attorney General although I am sure he did not approve of ever single decision I made or every action I took.”

“However, I would contend that this committee hearing is much more political than any action I ever took as Attorney General. I would contend that some members of this committee are more concerned with promoting their agenda than they are with either the truth or any political actions that they believe I was involved in. I will state again—firmly and with confidence—this is a political witch hunt. And yes indeed, I AM IN COMTEMPT OF SOME OF THE MEMBERS OF THIS COMMITTEE!!!”

Of course, Mr. Gonzales will not do this. He will not because he would be held in contempt of Congress because the committee members do not want to hear the truth.
And he doesn’t have to be so blunt. Nothing will happen to him. He will, if he wants, be offered and given a lucrative position with some corporation where he will earn much more than he did as Attorney General. He could start his own firm and represent powerful and rich clients. He could write a book and earn even more than he would have before being persecuted by members of Congress. He could join the speakers’ circuit and earn thousands of dollars for each speech.

He will do better without saying a word but that will not change the fact that the committee was not interested in the truth. The committee was seeking political advantage against the present administration. As President Lincoln has been given credit for saying, “You can fool some of the people all the time and all the people some of the time; but you can't fool all the people all the time.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home