Monday, June 15, 2009

Illinois tax increase—e-mail to officials


I received the following e-mail from Illinois Family Institute on the 11th. I post it tonight because it calls for immediate action on the part of the voters of Illinois. The e-mail with some minor adjustments, some comments, and putting it into my format:

Received 06/11/09
“IFI Reminder: Three Items...
Illinois Family Institute

1) [Personal information for me—I need not repeat it here]

2.) There are two gambling bills on Governor Patrick Quinn’s desk. Please take a moment to call his office at (800) 642-3112 and ask him to VETO any expansion of gambling in Illinois and keep his promise to voters.
(These bills have been passed by the General Assembly and are waiting for the Governor to act. Although he has said that he supports them, he also is trying to hold at least one of them hostage to force the General Assembly to pass his proposed income tax increase. I plan to discuss House Bill 0255 this week.)

3.) Illinois lawmakers still have not agreed on a budget, so a battle still looms for our state. A tax hike is still being promoted by Gov. Quinn. Click HERE to ask the governor and your state lawmakers to vote against any legislative proposal that would increase any tax burden for Illinois citizens.

I “Clicked HERE” Saturday morning and sent e-mails to the two Democratic members of the House of Representatives for the Peoria area (I believe the Republicans in this area will not vote to approve a tax increase), House Majority Leader Madigan, and the Governor. It seems to me that the House is the body least likely to support this increase since the Senate has already passed a bill supporting an income tax increase, if I remember correctly.

As I’ve said before, NO tax increase should be passed until and unless the General Assembly and the Governor DEMONSTRATES that they are fiscally responsible in handling the money already provided. This has NOT been demonstrated to this point!

Thank you for your attention to these items. I hope you and your family have a great weekend!

Sincerely,

David E. SmithExecutive Director”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home