Thursday, August 14, 2008

Selling beer and wine in Morton—an update on Lindy’s Food

My book—The Black Sword: The Secret U.S. Army in Vietnam—is available by mail (not yet in book stores). See post on July 31, 2008 entitled The Black Sword.

I suggest you check out the following website if you are a policy holder of Farmers Insurance Group or thinking about having them insure you in any capacity: http://www.farmersinsurancegroupsucks.com/




https://affiliates.visionforum.com/idevaffiliate.php?id=367


The above link is for a company—Vision Forum—that provides unique products for the family. I am an affiliate for the company and receive a small commission whenever someone uses this link and then makes an unreturned purchase while using the link. Check it out. I think you might like the products offered. I do. See my more complete explanation on my post of February 1, 2008 entitled “Affiliate program with Vision Forum.”

Based upon past historical data: 3,287+ UNBORN BABY MURDERS have occurred in the last 24 hours in the United States. See my post “BABY HOLOCAUST” posted January 22, 2008.

I’ve been involved in a problem one of my clients has with Farmers Insurance Group. My previous posts in relation to this problem were:

September 10, 2007 post: “Beware of Farmers Insurance Group”
September 11, 2007 post: “Farmers Insurance Group’s response”
September 18, 2007 post: “Farmers Insurance Company received the requested list”
September 19, 2007 post: “Farmers Insurance Company’s response to the list”
October 16, 2007 post: “Farmers Insurance Group and my request for information”
November 27, 2007 post: “Farmers Insurance Group does not respond to my request”
January 11, 2008 post: “Farmers Insurance Group latest stall”
January 12, 2008 post: “Farmers Insurance Group is sent a response”
January 14, 2008 post: “Farmers Insurance Group pays some money”
January 19, 2008 post: “Farmers Insurance Group continues to be obstinate”
January 26, 2008 post: “Farmers Insurance Group receives another request”
February 11, 2008 post: “Farmers Insurance Group shows how low they will go?”
February 12, 2008 post: “Farmers Insurance Group: If I were going to respond to the final letter”
February 13, 2008 post: “Farmers Insurance Group and associated companies”
February 14, 2008 post: “Farmers Insurance Group and how others rate the company”

I will not be continuing my Creationism posts today. I do plan to return to them soon.

Then, I plan to answer the response about Iraq. I am sorry for the change in plans. Plans, in reality, often are altered for one reason or another. “The best laid plans … often go astray.” Thank you for your understanding and patience.

How many unborn toddlers were murdered today because of the humanistic, paganish, barbaric decisions of the United States Supreme Court?

Stop the
Murder of
Unborn
Toddlers

“Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.” James 4: 17 (NIV)

http://www.farmersinsurancegroupsucks.com/

http://www.childpredators.com/

http://www.lifedynamics.com/

http://www.libertylegal.org/

http://www.alliancedefensefund.org/

http://www.searchtv.org/

I have received two more comments. One comment with be dealt with tonight. The comment:

Anonymous said

Whatever happened about the letter to Lindy’s? Did they respond?

7: 40 PM

Technical Lindy’s had one more day to respond (Thursday—I checked the P.O. Box early Thursday morning so was giving them until I checked it Friday morning) but there has been no response up to this point. Because of the information in the following newspaper article, I don’t expect a response. One point of clarification: The phonebook listed the name as Lindy’s Food. The article identifies the store as Lindy’s Downtown Market.

The following newspaper article about Lindy’s Downtown Market is from the Morton Times-News and was published on August 13, 2008, pages A1 and 2. I am quoting it in its entirety. The story:

“Lindy’s decides against Morton
Popular Washington store will not enter former Rocke’s shop
By Nathan Domenighini
TimesNewspapers

The owners of Lindy’s Downtown Market in Washington have opted not to pursue a location in the former Rocke’s retail shop on Adams in Morton.

Co-owners Jim and Bob Linsley made the decision last week. ‘We’ve spoken with Rocke’s,’ Jim Linsley said Tuesday. ‘They have been absolutely wonderful, gracious and accommodating.’

‘It becomes a space issue,’ Linsley said. ‘It wasn’t cost effective.’

A lot of restructuring inside the former Rocke’s facility would have been too costly, he added. He also cited rising costs as a deterrent.

‘It’s too expensive,’ he said.

‘For small businesses, there is constant pressure being applied,’ Linsley said. He said running a small business has become more difficult as wages and other areas increase in cost.

[My comment: I believe the federal minimum wage is now $6.55/hour. The Illinois minimum wage is $7.75/hour as of July 1, 2008. Given his statements as far as costs are concerned and they certainly are valid (the parking lot at the location is also rather small when compared to the Kroger and Wal-Mart lots), do you think (and obviously I don’t know) that the store would have opened, even if all the other obstacles were bridged, if they were prohibited from selling beer and wine because of the Morton ordinance?]

‘Everything has to make sense,’ he added.

For now, ‘we’re going to sit back and let the dust settle.’

The Linsleys made the decision before receiving a letter from a resident saying the reason Morton is adding wine and beer sales in grocery stores is to attract Lindy’s.

[My comment: I don’t know if this is a reference to my letter or not. I certainly did send a letter. However, I posted the letter on the blog as an exact copy of the letter that I sent to the owners. Read my post of that letter. Nowhere in that letter did I say “the reason Morton is adding wine and beer sales in grocery stores is to attract Lindy’s.” I did write “It has been RUMORED (My capitalization) that these changes are being proposed so that your company will be willing to build a grocery store in Morton.” It has been rumored. That rumor was reported in a newspaper story and was stated at the Board of Trustees meeting on August 4, 2008. I don’t know if the owner was quoted correctly or not but I do know that I did not write that “the reason Morton is adding wine and beer sales in grocery stores is to attract Lindy’s.”]

The letter alluded to a possible behind-the-scenes effort among village officials to attract Lindy’s through the addition of wine and beer sales at grocery stores.

[My comment: Again if this is a reference to my letter, I did not allude to any such thing. I asked direct questions (the first three) seeking a response from the owners to solicit their input in relation to their knowledge of any such activities occurring. If no such activities had occurred, all they had to do was to say “No.”]

Linsley, who was annoyed by the letter, brushed it off as a ridiculous response. He said it does not affect his view on the Morton community as a whole. That mentality did not have an effect on the decision, either.

[My comment: If he was “annoyed,” I am sorry he reacted in that manner. However, I think the citizens of the Village have every right, given the rumors that were occurring, to know if such activity was happening. I doubt if he would have been at the August 18th Trustee meeting to answer such questions. Again, all he had to do was say “No.”]

Morton mayor Norm Durflinger announced an interest in adding wine and beer sales to grocery stores during his 2007 state-of-the-village speech. That was before there was any interest from Lindy’s to come to Morton.

[My comment: I believe the article contention needs to be clarified. During the mayor’s state-of-the-village speech of July 10, 2008, the mayor said that in his 2007 speech that he was going to look into the possibility of calling for the selling of beer and wine. Governments look at possibilities all the time. It does not mean that they are going to propose something as a result. If, when I was on the school board, the board had said we were going to look into the possibility of building a swimming pool and adding a swimming program, It DOES NOT MEAN we are indeed going to build a swimming pool.

The actual proposal, as far as I know, to amend the liquor ordinance did NOT occur until the state-of –the-village speech on July 10, 2008. The article does not say when the negotiations between Rocke’s and the owners of Lindy’s began. The negotiations could have begun after the July 10th speech. (As far as I know, it was only after the July 10th speech that the citizens of the village knew that the mayor was going to make his proposed changes. For all we know, the owners of Lindy’s COULD have known earlier.) If so, the question still remains: did the negotiations begin because of a hope or belief that the liquor ordinance would be amended in a manner that would be beneficial to Lindy’s? Would Lindy’s have begun negotiations WITHOUT the mayor’s proposal to amend the liquor ordinance? Why didn’t the owners simply respond to my letter and say “NO” and thus give their answer to the rumors. This we do know from the owners own statement: negotiations were going on to establish a Lindy’s in Morton.]

Linsley, 58, who is an active donor to the Morton Community Foundation, said age may be catching up to him, too. He said that played into the decision not to come to Morton.

‘I’m too old,’ he said. ‘Maybe I’m getting lazy.’

The Washington business is celebrating its 50th year, he added. ‘We’re becoming more comfortable (in Washington).’

‘We thought we could go into Rocke’s,’ he added. ‘We did our due diligence.’

[My comment: The article does not answer the question. Did Lindy’s need the liquor ordinance amendments to be approved before actually placing a store in Morton?]

The decision against bringing the popular specialty food grocery store to Morton was difficult, Linsley said.

‘It breaks my heart,’ he said.

Linsley said he would have loved to have the store in Morton. One of the reasons the decision was tough was the people, whom he said deserve another option to buy groceries.

‘Morton is a wonderful community,’ he said. ‘It is a town of people who appreciate quality—understand quality.’”

[My comments: I believe, stressing that it is my belief; not a proven fact, why it is a “wonderful community” is, in part, because it DOES restrict the availability and accessibility of alcohol. LET’S KEEP IT THAT WAY! Let’s not abandon the stated Village philosophical concept of (1) protecting our citizens, (2) promoting temperance, and (3) preventing minors from getting possession of alcohol.

Do you believe in coincidences? I tend not to.]

“For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.” II Timothy 1: 7 (NIV)

“Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.” James 4: 17 (NIV)

“Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.” Galatians 6: 7-8 (NIV)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tend not to believe in coincidence either but that doesn't mean that necessary men that that the inability of grocery stores to sell wine or beer is major factor that causes Morton to be a good community I suspect that are a number of far more important factors at play. There are a lot of communities that do not have the same restricts on the sale of alcohol by grocery stores that are just as good, safe and wholesome communities as Morton is, I would take some hard evidence to make my buy the idea that allowing the sale of wine and beer by grocery would lead to any kind of substantial decline in the standard of living in Morton.

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home