Friday, July 20, 2007

Why stay in Iraq?

Coincidentally to my blog tonight, Cal Thomas has a very good column published in the Peoria Journal Star on July 19, 2007, page A4. In the Journal Star, the column is entitled “Democrats hit the sack.” Also, “Royce and Roger” (July 19, 2007, between 7:30 am and 8:00 am) the morning radio program on 1350 AM in the Peoria area replayed an interview that occurred in May with retired Four-Star General Wayne Downing who has recently died. A portion of that interview was about Iraq and, although brief, was enlightening. Some day soon, I may do a blog or two about the column and the interview.

Here is my anticipated schedule. I did not expect the Peoria Journal Star to print my letter about Creationism. I have already received responses—two posted comments and one by mail which have not yet been read. I also received one comment from my second to last post on Iraq. (“What happens if we withdraw from Iraq?” It was posted early Monday morning on the 16th.)

I begin answering that comment tonight. I have pushed back a response to a post on immigration that I will answer before dealing with the creation responses. I believe the immigration posts will take four or five. (I’ll try for four.) Therefore, it will be next week before I begin to respond to the material dealing with creation. I will deal with each one in the order that I received them. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

How many unborn toddlers were murdered today because of the humanistic, paganish decisions of the United States Supreme Court?

Stop the
Murder of
Unborn
Toddlers

“Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.” James 4: 17 (NIV)

http://www.kansasmeadowlark.com/2006/ShameOfKansas

www.childpredators.com

www.lifedynamics.com

www.aclj.org

www.libertylegal.org

www.alliancedefensefund.org

www.searchtv.org

Tonight’s post is my first post responding to the comment posted yesterday in relation to my asking Congressmen to answer these questions. “What will happen in the next year after the United States leaves Iraq? What will happen in the next five years after the United States leaves Iraq? How will pulling out in Iraq make the United States safer in relation to the War on Terror? In short, what will be the consequences of withdrawing from Iraq?”

The reader may want to check the post “Iraq comment” to understand what I am referring to in the following paragraphs.

I was going to argue that Iraq is a democracy but I decided not to. I was going to argue that it is the height of arrogance to proclaim that Iraq can not be a democracy but I decided not to. I was going to argue the same was said of Japan after World War II but I decided not.

I was going to argue that Iraq was not in a civil war but I decided not to. I was going to argue that Iraq was more like our Revolutionary War but I decided not to. I was going to argue that a righteous nation (See previous posts.) does not create an unstable situation in another country and then abandon that country but I decided not to. I was going to argue that a righteous nation does not create an unstable situation in another country and then declare “What is that to me?” (See previous posts.) but I decided not to.

I was going to argue that wars are expensive both in terms of lost men and material but I decided not to. I was going to argue that this War on Terror was not of our choosing but I decided not to. I was going to argue that it was not probable that money spent on this war would be diverted to education but I decided not to. I was going to argue that all the education in the world will not help us if we continue to be a slave to sin but I decided not to. I was going to argue that we spend billions of dollars a year to entertain ourselves (How many millions of dollars were spent last week to watch a Harry Potter film?) and yet are not willing to spend money to protect our nation from terrorists, whose stated goal is to destroy us, but I decided not to.

I was going to argue that the United States mainland has not been successfully attacked since 9/11 but I decided not to. I was going to argue that retreat and defeat will not make us safer and I decided that should be the main thrust of tonight’s post.

There is a Democratic Senator who has already declared that the United States has already been defeated in Iraq. What nonsense militarily. Unfortunately, it seems to be the defeatist attitude of the Democratic Congressmen in this country and way too many of our citizens. If they would have had expended the same energy to end our barbaric murdering of unborn babies we would not have murdered about 45 million of our own citizens over the last 34 plus years. But then, it is not surprising that many of the same people who support the murder of our unborn babies are also clamoring for our defeat and retreat in Iraq. The ability to immediately sin is more important to them than protecting and preserving our nation’s liberty. Immediate gratification!!!

However, the truth is that you can not defeat terrorism by giving in to that terror. Every time terrorism is successful it reinforces the terrorists’ belief that terror is the answer to their problems. Just as you do not allow bullies to get away with bullying, you can not allow terrorists to be victorious. It will only encourage more, not less acts of terror. A basic tenet of fighting terrorism is to never let terrorists win.

You don’t win wars by allowing the enemy to win important battles particularly when their victory comes because we quit!!! Now, this may surprise you but, even if we stabilize Iraq and most, if not all, of Al-Qaida withdraws, the war will be far from over. The advantage of fighting a war based on terror is that terrorists CAN NOT be conquered just by taking over a country. They simply will withdraw and generate terrorist attacks elsewhere. This war, if we ever decide to seriously fight it, will probably take years. They have the patience to wait us out. Do we have the patience to defeat them at every turn?

If we abandon Iraq, it will reinforce the idea that terrorism can be successful and that all they need to do is to continue their acts of terror on an ever increasing scale and to be more patient than we are. Which it seems will be rather easy to do because we are an extremely impatient society at the moment. I don’t think the majority of this society could have ever established a new nation, won the Civil War, conquered the West, or won World War II. And yes, there were people in each one of these cases who screamed “All is lost!!!” “We can not possibly be successful.” “The cost is too great.” “We have been defeated!!!” “Wave the white flag of surrender!!!”

We are not the only society who has been like this. Read the Old and New Testament. Soon after Moses led the Jewish people out of Egypt, they were crying to go back to Egypt and back into slavery when the going seemed to be a little more difficult than they thought it should be. When they reached the Promised Land, after spying out the land, 10 of the 12 spies convinced the people that they could not possibly defeat the nations that occupied the land. What is that? The majority of the people were wrong? As a result of their disobedience and fear, GOD forced them to wander in the wilderness for 40 years until that generation died off. Only after this punishment were they allowed into the Promised Land. Within the land, as they continued to be disobedient and sin against GOD, GOD punished them with war, captivity, and exiles until the nation was finally scattered after the death, burial, and resurrection of the SON of GOD.

Our decadence, if it continues without repentance, will be our downfall. We seem to be willing to continue our moral slide into the abyss rather than fight to preserve freedom in another country and our own as well. Eventually if we do not wake up, our unwillingness to defend even our own freedom will be our undoing. Our abandoning Iraq will be a modern day version of appeasement just as Hitler was appeased by most of Europe before World War II. Except this time, there will be no United States to save us. We will not be capable of saving ourselves because of our continuing sin against GOD. If you think you can’t fool mother nature, rest assured, you definitely CAN NOT fool GOD!!!!!

I firmly believe, and you can disprove it anymore than I can prove it, that the growth of terrorism is being used by GOD to punish the United States for the slide into immorality that we have been engaged in over the last forty or so years. In some respects, I see the country finally trying to right that slide. However, if we don’t stop murdering our unborn babies, allowing and even encouraging immoral activities, attempting to remove GOD from the public arena, and a whole host of other sins that are so prevalent today, it doesn’t matter if we are victorious in Iraq or not. We will, when GOD decides it is time, go the way of other nations who have put self above GOD.

That is true as far as I am concerned without question. I don’t know when it will happen but it will happen if we continue our mad dash into sin. The War on Terror and our own sin are linked together. Both must be defeated. However, for any lasting solution, repentance must also occur.

“Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.” Galatians 6: 7-8 (NIV)

Is this what you thought I would say? Tomorrow: What I would do if I were Al-Qaida and the United States Congress sets a time table to withdraw by early spring of next year.