Friday, August 22, 2008

Selling beer and wine in Morton—do the citizens of Morton care

My book—The Black Sword: The Secret U.S. Army in Vietnam—is available by mail (not yet in book stores). See post on August 31, 2008 entitled The Black Sword.

I suggest you check out the following website if you are a policy holder of Farmers Insurance Group or thinking about having them insure you in any capacity: www.farmersinsurancegroupsucks.com




https://affiliates.visionforum.com/idevaffiliate.php?id=367


The above link is for a company—Vision Forum—that provides unique products for the family. I am an affiliate for the company and receive a small commission whenever someone uses this link and then makes an unreturned purchase while using the link. Check it out. I think you might like the products offered. I do. See my more complete explanation on my post of February 1, 2008 entitled “Affiliate program with Vision Forum.”

Based upon past historical data: 3,287+ UNBORN BABY MURDERS have occurred in the last 24 hours in the United States. See my post “BABY HOLOCAUST” posted January 22, 2008.

I’ve been involved in a problem one of my clients has with Farmers Insurance Group. My previous posts in relation to this problem were:

September 10, 2007 post: “Beware of Farmers Insurance Group”
September 11, 2007 post: “Farmers Insurance Group’s response”
September 18, 2007 post: “Farmers Insurance Company received the requested list”
September 19, 2007 post: “Farmers Insurance Company’s response to the list”
October 16, 2007 post: “Farmers Insurance Group and my request for information”
November 27, 2007 post: “Farmers Insurance Group does not respond to my request”
January 11, 2008 post: “Farmers Insurance Group latest stall”
January 12, 2008 post: “Farmers Insurance Group is sent a response”
January 14, 2008 post: “Farmers Insurance Group pays some money”
January 19, 2008 post: “Farmers Insurance Group continues to be obstinate”
January 26, 2008 post: “Farmers Insurance Group receives another request”
February 11, 2008 post: “Farmers Insurance Group shows how low they will go?”
February 12, 2008 post: “Farmers Insurance Group: If I were going to respond to the final letter”
February 13, 2008 post: “Farmers Insurance Group and associated companies”
February 14, 2008 post: “Farmers Insurance Group and how others rate the company”

I will not be continuing my Creationism posts today. I do plan to return to them soon.

Then, I plan to answer the response about Iraq. I am sorry for the change in plans. Plans, in reality, often are altered for one reason or another. “The best laid plans … often go astray.” Thank you for your understanding and patience.

How many unborn toddlers were murdered today because of the humanistic, paganish, barbaric decisions of the United States Supreme Court?

Stop the
Murder of
Unborn
Toddlers

“Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.” James 4: 17 (NIV)

www.farmersinsurancegroupsucks.com

www.childpredators.com

www.lifedynamics.com

www.libertylegal.org

www.alliancedefensefund.org

www.searchtv.org

This is my plan for the next few months. I have already spent more time on selling beer and wine in Morton than I had planned. I don’t regret that decision. I think it has been good to take a look at the operation of municipal government. I am answering one comment from a reader tonight. For my next post, I hope to do a column on public opinion polls in relation to the present Presidential election which also, of course, relates to the issue in Morton. Then, I will hopefully respond to the other comments although I might combine some comments into one post—I haven’t decided that yet.

After dealing with the comments and going back even farther for the California Supreme Court decision allowing homosexuals to marry, I intend to devote the rest of the time, with one exception, to the current Presidential election until the result is know. I did send questionnaires to Congressional candidates in Central Illinois districts. I will post any received in September and then make reference to them before the general election. Of course, I may deviate from this course of action during the next two plus months but that is the plan.

The comment I’m dealing with tonight is:

“Anonymous said

The larger question is do the people of Morton really care if beer and wine can be sold at the local grocery store?

12: 30 PM”


Obviously, some people on either side of the issue do care. Having been training in political science and having served as an elected board member, the sad truth is that many people, often a majority of people, don’t care either way about a particular issue unless it is perceived as directly having an impact on their lives. I doubt, without looking up the figures, if any of the Trustees or the mayor were elected by a majority of the eligible voters of Morton. In many communities a turn out of twenty-five percent of the eligible voters is a successful turnout for a municipal election. In fact, if I remember correctly, in the last Village election, only one office was being contested. I believe that was for a park district post but I am not certain.

During my four plus years since moving back to Morton, this issue is certainly the most contentious issue I am aware of. For two straight Board meetings, the Board meeting certainly had more citizens present than normally attend such meetings. After the Board decided to allow the sale of beer and wine, most of the audience left. In fact, one of the Trustees or the mayor, I don’t remember which, made a comment in that regard. I also left but watched the entire board meeting on Wednesday.

What is disturbing to me is that each of the four Board members who voted for the amendments claimed that they were voting according to the will of the majority of the community when in fact they do not know for certain what the will of the community is on this issue. They had an opportunity to find out that will through an advisory referendum and deliberately chose not to pursue it.

Also, it is my opinion, and obviously just an opinion, that the decision had been reached before the last two Board meetings and quite possibly before the mayor’s State of the Village address. I say this, in part, because of the timing of the vote. If the mayor was not sure of the outcome of the vote, it is unlikely he would have proposed the change so close to the next election. If others had the same perception, they may have decided not to become involved because they viewed any action against the proposed vote as hopeless.

The mayor knew that the proposal would be controversial. He said as much in interviews with various newspapers and said so during his State of the Village address. The safe course of action, if he was not certain of the vote, would have been to wait until he was reelected in April and until Trustee Yarcho was reelected. The other three Trustees would still have time (2 years—the electorate tends to react to immediate concerns and time dulls the desire to remove from office those who voted badly two years previous) for the dust to clear before they were up for reelection. Of course, the vote may have been dictated by Lindy’s negotiations to build a grocery store in Morton but that has been denied.

I would hope that the election in April will be a contested election. As I stated in a previous post, the last Trustee election had only the three candidates who were elected running and two of them were NOT incumbents. Since the mayor and the three Trustees with two plus years remaining denied the citizens the opportunity to vote by referendum, the next best alternative is the municipal elections. It is not as valid as a referendum on that specific issue but that opportunity has been denied.

“He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me, scatters.” [said by JESUS] Luke 11: 23 (NIV)

“For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight.” I Corinthians 3: 19a (NIV)

“For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.” II Timothy 1: 7 (NIV)

“Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.” James 4: 17 (NIV)

“Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.” Galatians 6: 7-8 (NIV)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home